Sunday, May 18, 2008

mmmmm dinner.....

I must admit, I am just a country girl at heart. I grew up in a town that had less than 100 people, graduated from a class with 15, and yes, give directions by landmarks because we don't have street signs.



I am not the gun totin' kind, but neither am I the sugar poured in the gas tank kind of enviromentalist either (a middle of the road approach that is often tested in my current line of work). I am not, nor have I been, nor could I be a vegetarian--don't get me wrong, I love animals, have fed cows by hand, collected eggs, and remember the bristley hairs from petting our pigs (the best ones name was Rosie)...it is just some times I prefer them medium rare, served with eggs and hashbrowns or baked up with some mashed potatoes.



Born and raised in cattle country, I have always loved the commercials for beef. From "Where's the Beef" to "Beef: It's what's for dinner." I remember in college, one of my professors was listening to Aaron Copeland in his office, and I said something to the effect of "oh, that's the Beef song." HOWEVER....Beef commercials just recently gained a whole new perspective...for me and almost every other female between the age of 10 and 100---and maybe a few on either end, and perhaps a few guys too....We loved Sam Elliot's voice, toting the benifits of beef to us. Dark, smokey, what an aging cowboy should sound like. But there is a new Beef Boy in town. Matthew McConaughey's soft sweet drawl has a nice thick sirloin sounding better than ever. And I am not alone. I first heard the commercials this past week---I kept thinking, I know that voice...I know that voice...then it dawned on me. A Google search later and sure enough! So what are others saying?



"I was just sitting here, doing vital research for a piece I’m writing, and I heard this ad from the 'Beef, it’s what’s for dinner' people. But this was different. I’m already one of those people whose desert island food is a cow, but this ad, it got to me. The announcer was friendly, warm, seductive. This was not my mother’s beef commercial...I couldn’t place the voice, but I wanted him to come over for beers and burgers. So I Googled, and I found out why I was suddenly consumed with a desire for a breakfast of steak and steak, with a side of steak. Matthew McConnaughey (sic) is the new voice for the beef council, replacing Sam Elliott. Now, I think Mr. Elliott is a fine actor, but Matthew? ... {Beefcake. It’s who’s what’s for dinner.}" http://bipolarlawyercook.wordpress.com/2008/01/22/mmmm-beef/



"Well a commercial came on for 'Beef — it’s what’s for dinner' — I could not concentrate on my book. I was in heaven… sexy voice talking to me about lean beef and how good and juicy it is for you.


The voice belonged to my Barbie-Dream-Date… Matthew McConaughey"

www.mayasmom.com/talk/a127277/beef_and_the_power_of_advertising...



google search results so far yield....

McConaughey Beef commercial=10,900

McConaughey Beef=30,300

Matthew McConaughey Beef=21,500

Matthew McConaughey Beef Commercial=18,800

Matthew McConaughey Beef ad=108,000



Yeah, I think it will catch on...
Now if you'll excuse me, it is time to find a T-Bone. Dinner never looked/sounded so good.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, I didn't spell his name right? Ugh. I hate that, especially since the newest rounds about "sizzling sirloin" and it being barbecue season are airing, making me tempted to re-post this piece. : )

    ReplyDelete