Monday, February 11, 2008

Laptop

Okay, so it has been close to a month now since I got a laptop.  Which should be cause for celebration, excitement, etc....but as of yet, it has not been so.

I had heard how easy Macs were to deal with, use them right out of the box, etc, etc, comes with everything you need, etc, etc.  I thought, why not...what the heck, I am tired of dealing with Microsoft at the moment, let's give it a shot...If I had known then what I know now, I would have kept with Microsoft....(it may be screwed up, but at least I know how to use it and what it can and can't do).

The service person asked what I planned to with my computer...that is when I could finally get one to help me.  Perhaps that is the problem, I didn't go directly to an Apple Store...probably not. I told him that I wanted to create word documents, use it for photo storage, get on to the internet, and I guess to be honest, that is about what I can do with it...So, I being near sighted, and wanting to use this for my main computer, at least at times, went with a professional edition, mainly for the fact that it had a bigger screen.  Not going to go into how much that set me back to begin with...So I asked, can I use a flash drive and have the text program be compatible with Microsoft Word, so that I could edit and print...he said no.  So I got a printer, which is actually really small, very portable, and I really like, providing I can actually find the right size cartridges for it...And I knew what laptop mice were like, so I got an external mouse...so between those two, an extra $300 dollars, pretty much....

I had also heard OH, Mac's don't get viruses.  I am not stupid, eventually somehow, somewhere, someone will figure out at way....so, got antivirus software, and of course the one company that I was tired of for antivirus software seemed to be the only one that made it for Macs.....+about $80.

So got it home, opened up the box, turned it on--no problem, got to looking at stuff, some of it looks pretty cool, was able to just plug the internet in okay... Then started looking to see what else it had to offer, looking for manuals to tell me what the stuff was... and no, there are none.... but I can go online and get tutorials... which I would have to watch like 10 times to remember the stuff they are showing me.  And it is a good thing that here at home I have DSL because I would need an additional external modem to get online if it were dial up, which I will probably have to do when I go back to work.... 

Speaking of which, used it to type up the application for a different position in the same job...  Can't even use headers and footers...why?....because there are none, what is up with that? But there is trial of this cute little program called IWork and for only $80 MORE, you can buy a serial number, a serial number, that's all--just a number, for EIGHTY DOLLARS, so that you can use a word document creator that actually does everything that you would want it, nay, expect it to do.  You can keep it at just the trial level, but once that expires, you can't print or save, so what exactly would be the point...?.  And to top it all off, I can't even play solitaire....OH THE INHUMANITY!!!!  So apparently I am either not smart enough to use this or it is not as good as I had heard or.....?  I do know that I will likely not get another one, and I don't know that I could honestly recommend anyone getting one, especially if they are not familiar with the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment